Weekends and After School
Washington Academy provides numerous after school programs between 3:00 and 5:30pm for all residential students. Students are encouraged to participate in clubs, sports, open gym or trips to town. Once a quarter, the entire Residential Life community gathers for Color Games.
Washington Academy’s Residential Life Curriculum is a deliberate plan that aspires to help students reach their full potential through the experience of living in a diverse, educational setting. Learning is not limited to academics, but also takes place after class, in the dorm, on the athletic fields, and during free time.
WA’s Residential Life Curriculum creates a safe, healthy, cooperative, comfortable, educational experience that helps each student learn to:
- Manage his or her own time and studies
- Live respectfully and responsibly with others
- Develop individual strength of character and understanding of others
- Become prepared to function confidently and competently in a college environment
WA’s Residential Life Curriculum provides:
- Unique “Placed-Based” Experiential Educational Curriculum to take full advantage of the Machias area, as well as Washington County and the entire regions of Downeast Maine.
- State-wide activities and events on weekends, plus fine arts performances and local events. Shopping and recreation are also included on a regular basis.
- Activity options for 3:00-5:30pm that include community service, sports programs, and clubs/activities.
- Community-based extracurricular activities
- Family style dinners where faculty and community members can come to enjoy dinner with students from around the world.
- A dorm parent program that strives to ensure academic progress and success for each individual student living in the dormitory.
Weekend trips for Residential Life include:
- Orono Trampoline Park
- Portland, Freeport
- Pirate Fest in Eastport
- Boston Trip
- Ski Trips
- Laser Tag
- Trips to the Bangor Mall, movie theater, and bowling alley